The spring coastal bear trophy hunt has begun. With its start, the future of the spirit bear is in jeopardy.
While it is illegal to hunt the white Kermode bear, within 98% of its range – including protected areas – it is legal to hunt the black Kermode bear that carries and produces the unique white gene. A loss of either bear is devastating to the genetic diversity of this subspecies.
Our goal is to create a sanctuary for the spirit bear by conserving the final, unprotected third of its last intact habitat (the Green-Sheep Passage/Tolmie Operating Area) and stopping the coastal bear trophy hunt.
The Spirit Bear Youth Coalition is asking everyone who cares about the future of this remarkable creature to please take a moment to write British Columbia Premier Christy Clark and, if you live in BC, your MLA in order to voice your support for the creation of a sanctuary for the Kermode.
We believe that this issue is a family values issue and a priority for BC families and, indeed, families globally: Our decision makers need to know that you agree.
FIVE WAYS TO SAVE THE SPIRIT BEAR:
1) Email, write and/or phone BC Premier Christy Clark and your elected representative
2) Sign the petition to stop this hunt
3) Adopt-a-Spirit Bear and keep up-to-date on our campaign to create a sanctuary for the spirit bear
4) Consider a donation to the Spirit Bear Youth Coalition to aid our volunteer-run campaign
5) Forward this message to your friends and family and help us spread the word with an urgent call to action
FIVE WAYS TO STAY UP-TO-DATE:
1) Follow us on Twitter @SpiritBearYouth
2) Join our Facebook group
3) Visit www.spiritbearyouth.org and www.adoptaspiritbear.org
4) Become a member
5) Sign-up for our new education program
FOR MORE INFORMATION: