Thanks to the support of millions of people from all walks of life and from all corners of the globe, together we have been able to take the spirit bear out of the political wilderness and into the forefront of cabinet meeting, board rooms and the public eye.
Today, while habitat loss, trophy hunting and the long term concern of an oil spill continues to imperil the future of this endangered subspecies, we are making considerable progress toward finding lasting solutions to augment the progress that has already been achieved, ensuring Canada will always have a healthy economy and a protected spirit bear.
And this is where we need your help.
It might only take the support of one more person or maybe it will take the support of one hundred thousand more people to put this issue over the top, but for each individual who makes their voice heard, the global call to protect this bear becomes stronger and impossible to ignore.
After all, decision makers can only represent us if they know how and it is up to us to show our representatives that the majority of global citizens stand behind leaders who seek innovative ideas to protect the spirit bear without burdening one people or one community.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Write BC Premier Christy Clark and ask her to protect the spirit bear by:
• Honouring the commitments made in the 2006 BC government vision for a sustainable BC coast.
• Working with the Youth Coalition to identify the cost of protecting the final, unprotected third of the spirit bear’s last intact habitat and allow the Youth Coalition the opportunity to put our money where our mouth is in the form of the Hollywood animated movie.
• Ensure that the spirit bear is afforded meaningful sanctuary by not re-allocating the bear trophy hunting licenses that have been purchased to protect the bear’s gene pool.
• Advocate for shifting the route of the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline from Kitimat to Vancouver or Prince Rupert, ensuring oil tankers will not travel through the treacherous waters of the spirit bear’s habitat.
Premier Christy Clark
Premier of British Columbia
Each letter you, your friends and your family writes is viewed as the opinion of 100 people in eyes of government.
Please choose to be heard: the spirit bear needs your voice.
FIVE MORE WAYS TO SAVE THE SPIRIT BEAR:
1) Email, write and/or phone Canadian Prime Minister Harper and BC Premier Clark
2) Sign the petition to stop this hunt
3) Voice your support for shifting the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline
4) Donate to the Spirit Bear Youth Coalition volunteer-run campaign
5) Spread the word by forwarding this message